Auto FAQ

General Questions

What are your office hours?

The Jefferson County Automobile Department office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.

Can I pay for transactions processed at your office by credit/debit card?

Yes, there is a charge of 2.25%. You can renew license registration online at  Cash only payments are required for the purchase of a temporary permit.  These tags include the 30-Day, One Trip, 72-Hour and 144-Hour permits. Credit/Debit, Cash, checks and money orders are acceptable for all other transactions.

Where do I go to obtain my driver’s license or Texas ID?

If you need to obtain a Texas driver’s license or have questions about your driver’s license, you should contact your local Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Office.  The telephone number to the DPS located in Beaumont is (409) 924-5400.

Can I transfer and license my boat & motor at the Tax Office?

The Jefferson County Tax Office does not process boat and motor transactions at this time.  To transfer a boat and motor or if you have questions about your boat and motor, you should contact your local Texas Parks and Wildlife Department located at 5655 Eastex Freeway, Suite A,  Beaumont, TX 77706.  The phone number is (409) 892-8666.  To download forms or for more information, visit the Texas Parks & Wildlife website.

I have purchased a vehicle in Texas. What paper work is necessary and what will it cost for tax, title, and license?

  1. Texas Title Application (130-U) signed by buyer and seller
  2. Texas Title signed by the buyer and seller
  3. Proof of liability insurance in the buyer’s name
  4. 6.25% Sales Tax based on the sales price if more than 80% of the Standard Presumptive Value.
  5. The purchaser must apply within 30 days from the date of sale to avoid a penalty.
  6. Current or unexpired ID/DL

I purchased a vehicle several months ago from a licensed motor vehicle dealer, and I have not received a title in my name. To what agency could I file a complaint?

You should contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicle- Enforcement Divison to file complaints against dealers involving fraud, advertising rule violations, curb stoning, and brokering.  Dealer Enforcement responds to complaints regarding the sale of motor vehicles by licensed motor vehicle dealers. You may contact them at (888) 368-4689 or by completing a consumer complaint form and mailing it to the TXDMV- Enforcement Division Car Dealer-New Complaints, 4000 Jackson Ave., Austin, TX 78731.  For more information about dealer enforcement, go to the TxDMV website.

Motor Vehicle Title and Registration Questions

What do I need to register my vehicle in person or by mail?

You will need the following items to register your vehicle:

  1. Renewal notice sent to you by TxDMV.
  2. VIR.  You must have your vehicle inspected prior to renewing your registration.
  3. Current proof of liability insurance on the vehicle you are registering.
  4. When renewing without the current registration renewal notice, you will need to provide a current state issued ID for the registered owner.  If  you are not the registered owner, you will need a written statement from the owner authorizing issuance of registration as well as a copy of the owner’s state issued ID.
  5. Personal check (with a local address and phone number), cash, money order, or a credit/debit card.

Can I renew my license at my Local Credit Union?

If you have received a renewal notice and your registration has not already expired, you may purchase your license renewal at one of the following sub-contractor locations.  Proof of insurance is required on the vehicle you are renewing.  If you are not a member, please contact the credit union for additional requirements needed to renew.

Neches Federal Credit Union
1955 Dowlen Road
Beaumont, TX 77706
(409) 835-1471

Golden Triangle Federal Credit Union
5211 E. Parkway
Groves, TX 77619
(409) 962-3434

Neches Federal Credit Union
776 Magnolia
Port Neches, TX 77651
(409) 722-1174

Neches Federal Credit Union
2239 Nall Street
Port Neches, TX 77651
(409) 727-1639

Neches Federal Credit Union
2623 Nederland Avenue
Nederland, TX 77627
(409) 729-2831

CommonCents Credit Union
8109 Smith Road
Beaumont, TX 77713
(409) 842-5233


  • Three-part renewal notice
  • Registration cannot be more than 30 days expired
  • Current proof of insurance for the vehicle being renewed
  • Current, passing Vehicle Inspection Report  (Effective March 1, 2016, this report must be no earlier than 90 days prior to the vehicle registration expiration.)

3590 College St.
Beaumont, TX 77701
Mon-Sat 8 am-8 pm
Sun 10 am-6 pm

3025 Dowlen Rd.
Beaumont, TX 77706
Mon-Sat 8 am-8 pm
Sun 10 am-6 pm

4800 Hwy. 365
Port Arthur, TX 77642
Mon-Sat 8 am-8 pm
Sun 10 am-5 pm

3965 Dowlen Rd.
Beaumont, TX 77706
Mon-Sun 8 am-8 pm

3845 Phelan
Beaumont, TX 77707
Mon-Sun 8 am-8 pm

Mid County Lube & Auto Repair LLC

5217 Twin City Hwy.
Port Arthur, TX  77642
Mon-Fri 8 am-5:30 pm
Sat          8 am-3:00 pm

How do I register a homemade or shop made trailer?

State law allows individuals to register trailers that are homemade or shopmade if the gross vehicle weight will be 4,000 lbs. or less, this is usually a single axle trailer. You will need to provide the year it was built, the approximate empty weight and the maximum amount that will be carried on the trailer. Your identification will also be required.

Homemade trailers under 4,000 lbs. gross weight are not required to have a Vehicle Identification (VIN) unless they are going to be titled.  However, it is encouraged because the VIN is placed in the state motor vehicle database, which will help identify the trailer should it ever be stolen.  Another advantage is customers will be able to utilize online services such as registration renewal.

I purchased a homemade/shopmade trailer that is registered for less than 4,000 lbs in gross weight.  What evidence do I need to transfer ownership?

  1. Current registration receipt
  2. Bill of Sale
  3. If the registered owner cannot provide a current registration receipt the Application for Assigned or Reassigned Number (Form VTR-68-A) completed by the Auto Theft Task Force who may be contacted at (409) 842-6341 ext. 1530.

*****Proof of insurance is not required on trailers. *****

I have sold my vehicle and do not want to come with the purchaser to transfer the title. What can I do to show that I have sold this vehicle?

Notification of the sale of your motor vehicle can be made by completing a Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification (Form VTR-346).  This notification will not transfer the title, but it will place a remark on the motor vehicle record that the vehicle has been sold.

I purchased a trailer for farm use only. What are the requirements to license my trailer with farm plates?

Qualifications for farm trailer license plates….farm trailer is used exclusively to transport seasonally harvested agricultural products or livestock from the place of production to the place of process, market, or storage; or farm supplies from the place of loading to the farm; these vehicles cannot be operated for hire.

A farm trailer or farm semitrailer with a gross weight not exceeding 4,000 pounds is exempt from registration. Such a vehicle should be sold by Bill of Sale and if the purchaser is not a farmer, he must register with regular trailer license plates.

A farm trailer or farm semitrailer with a gross weight in excess of 4,000 pounds but not exceeding 34,000 pounds qualifies for a $6.00 farm license plate.  Such trailers should be sold on a Bill of Sale.  An exception is those farm semitrailers in excess of 4,000 pounds that may be issued a certificate of title.  If the owner chooses to title his farm trailer that weighs in excess of 4,000 pounds, an Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Form 130-U) and an Application for Farm Trailer/Semitrailer (Form VTR52-A) should be filed and surrendered with ownership documents.  Texas Ag/Timber number is issued by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Is a Title and Registration Required for an ATV or UTV?

An All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) is defined as a 3 or 4 wheel vehicle designed by the manufacturer for off-highway use.  As of September 1, 1985 an individual who is the owner of a 3 or 4 wheel All Terrain Vehicle designed for off-highway use must secure a certificate of title in his/her name before the vehicle can be transferred to another owner.  These off-highway vehicles are not designed by the manufacturer for highway use and therefore must be titled but not registered.

On September 15, 2008, TXDMV’s Vehicle Title and Registration Division began classifying a Utility Type Vehicle (UTV) as an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV), meaning the UTV’s will no longer be allowed on public roads.

  • Liability insurance is not required.
  • ATV’s and UTV’s are not subject to Motor Sales Tax.

What is required to title and license a travel trailer coming from out-of-state?

All travel trailers and camping trailers are required to be titled in Texas. Travel trailers that weigh in excess of 4,500 pounds are required to be weighed and Texas Safety Inspected.  The following documents will be needed when titling:

  • Certified Weight Certificate
  • Texas Safety Inspection (Form VIR)
  • Travel Trailer Verification (Form VTR-141)
  • Out-of-State Title
  • Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Form 130-U)

I have lost my original Texas title, and the lienholder recorded on my title is no longer in business. What steps do I take to get a clear title in my name?

If a lien has been recorded on a Texas title for ten (10) years or more and if it is impossible to locate the lienholder to obtain a release, a statement of fact must be executed by the registered owner (person to whom the title was issued) stating, “The lien has been paid.  The lien holder is no longer in business and cannot be located.” The Statement of Fact must support an application for corrected title filed in the name of the registered owner to clear the lien.  A record of ownership must be established in the registered owner’s name indicating that the lien recorded is at least ten (10) years old before the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles will issue title.  The Lienholder Affidavit can be printed by clicking on Jefferson County Tax Office Vehicle Forms.


I am in the Military and stationed out of state.  I purchased my vehicle out of state, and I would like to title and register my vehicle in my home state of Texas.  What will I need?

Military personnel, who are Texas residents (claims Texas as their legal state of residence) stationed out of the state, may continue to title and register their vehicle in Texas.  Necessary paperwork needed to title and register:

  1. Original Out-of-State Title or Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  2. Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Form 130-U) – complete lien holder information, if applicable
  3. Self-Certification (Form VTR-270) Form (VTR-270) not required if evidence of ownership is a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO)
  4. Verification of Military Orders
  5. Invoice or Bill of Sale
  6. Current Proof of Liability Insurance (must meet Texas requirements)
  7. Proof of Motor Vehicle Sales Tax paid when titled (credit given for taxes already paid)

For additional information or questions related to military personnel, please visit The TxDMV website at:

Can I register my Motor Vehicle in Texas without surrendering the original out-of-state title?

Yes, you can apply for “Registration Purposes Only”.  This means that the vehicle is registered in another state and the registered owner does not wish/or cannot surrender the original out-of-state title.  The documents needed to apply for “Registration Purposes Only” are:

  1. The current registration receipt
  2. Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Form 130-U) -complete lien holder information, if applicable
  3. Self-Certification (Form VTR-270)
  4. Verification of military orders
  5. Proof of Motor Vehicle Sales Tax paid when titled (credit given for taxes already paid)
  6. Current proof of liability insurance (must meet Texas requirements)

Texas Insurance Requirements

Texas law requires proof of financial responsibility for anyone who drives an automobile in the state.  Most Texans choose to purchase liability insurance to meet this requirement.

Liability insurance pays for bodily injuries, property damage, and rental car expenses for which a driver covered by your policy is legally responsible. The minimum liability insurance limits required by law are $30,000 bodily injury per person, $60,000 bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident. This is commonly called “30/60/25” coverage.

Proof of financial responsibility is required regardless of whether registration is accomplished in person or by mail.

This provision does not apply to motor vehicles which are exempt from the insurance requirements.  Vehicles that are exempt may include all trailers, ATV’s and machinery vehicles.

For additional information or questions about titling your motor vehicle, please visit the TxDMV web site at: